Re: ioctl for Edgeport/8s MEI

On Thu, 17 Feb 2011 14:28:36 +0100, Alan Cox <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

There are standardised ioctls for RS485 mode and the like. So just add
support for those and submit a patch. (TIOCGRS485/TIOCSRS485).

The functionality I was referring to was the software mode selection supported by the Edgeport hard-/firmware as described in their ionmode.c utility:

 *      Usage: iontty [-h] [-v] -F ttyname [mode modeval]
 *      For example:
 *        iontty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 mode 0    # Sets RS232
 *        iontty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 mode 9    # Sets RS422...
 *        iontty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 mode 0x0D # Sets RS485...
 *
 * Where the possible mode values are (note the duplicate values
 * are intentional and they can be expressed in decimal, hex or
 * octal):
 *      Modeval      Description
 *      -------      -----------
 *      0x00         RS232
 *      0x01         RS422: No Terminating Resistor
 *      0x09         RS422: Terminating Resistor
 *      0x0D         RS485: Half Duplex, End Unit, Echo
 *      0x0F         RS485: Half Duplex, End Unit, No Echo
 *      0x05         RS485: Half Duplex, Middle Unit, Echo
 *      0x07         RS485: Half Duplex, Middle Unit, No Echo
 *      0x09         RS485: Full Duplex, End Unit, Master
 *      0x0D         RS485: Full Duplex, End Unit, Slave
 *      0x01         RS485: Full Duplex, Middle Unit, Master
 *      0x05         RS485: Full Duplex, Middle Unit, Slave
 *

As you can see, this device can be configured for five different modes of RS-485 operation, hence I'm not sure how the generic TIOCGRS485/TIOCSRS485 maps to these.

Or are you saying that the driver does not support RS-485 at all, even if the port is configured as such? I was under the impression that this was already handled in the top-level serial driver?

Or do you refer to user-space control of RX/TX? I thought that was handled directly by the hard-/firmware of the Edgeport device?

 -Frode

--
^ Frode Tennebà | email: frode@xxxxxxxxxxx | Frode@IRC ^
|  with Standard.Disclaimer; use Standard.Disclaimer;  |