Re: ioctl for Edgeport/8s MEI

> > There are standardised ioctls for RS485 mode and the like. So just add
> > support for those and submit a patch. (TIOCGRS485/TIOCSRS485).
>
> The functionality I was referring to was the software mode selection
> supported by the Edgeport hard-/firmware as described in their ionmode.c
> utility:

Sure

> As you can see, this device can be configured for five different modes of
> RS-485 operation, hence I'm not sure how the generic TIOCGRS485/TIOCSRS485
> maps to these.

It probably doesn't completely as yet. Thats why I explained that there
is scope to extend it to do so.

> Or are you saying that the driver does not support RS-485 at all, even if
> the port is configured as such?  I was under the impression that this was
> already handled in the top-level serial driver?

The top level serial drivers route TIOCGRS485/TIOCSRS485 down to the
driver. There is no core knowledge of the two protocols in the kernel
serial stack.

The way to get the support into the kernel is to put the needed bits in
the driver and then use/extend TIOCG/SRS485 to suit.

Alan