Re: Resetting SS device; SET ADDRESS

On Thu, Feb 10, 2011 at 03:58:56PM -0800, Luben Tuikov wrote:
> --- On Thu, 2/10/11, Sarah Sharp <sarah.a.sharp@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > > I don't mind the reset. I didn't find it to be too slow.
> > >
> > > As this is what works for me right now, I'll commit my patch to
> > > the free-linux branch. Feel free to submit it as your own, or
> > > git-cherry-pick it from the free-linux branch, or come up with
> > > whatever else.
> >
> > Ok, I'll probably submit it as my own patch with a Reported-by
> > attribution to you, if I don't come up with anything better.
>
> Please help all the readers of this mailing list understand: You'll
> cut and paste the patch I posted and submit it as your own with a
> Reported-by attribution to me?

No, I wouldn't have pasted your code and called it my own.  I would have
made a new patch to just remove the offending lines instead of ifdefing
them out, since that is frowned upon (as Greg pointed out), and sent it
to the linux-usb mailing list after testing.  I would have credited you
in the commit message, and made sure to Cc you on the patch submission.

Normally, I would just ask you to resubmit a proper patch, with that fix
and a commit message, but your phrase "Feel free to submit it as your
own" led me to believe you were uninterested in actually making a patch
and having your name as author.

> Wouldn't it be appropriate to ask for a patch into master, which you can
> commit with an Acked-by?

Well, this is all moot since you have already sent Greg a patch, but if
in the future you want to use git, I'm fine with it.  Just base your
branch against Greg's usb-linus branch (since this is a bug fix, not a
new feature) and send me a pull request.  I'll cherry pick it and add my
Signed-off-by once I test it on my xHCI hardware, and then send it to
Greg along with a couple other bug fixes.

Feel free to Cc the linux-usb mailing list on your pull request and also
send a patch as a reply to your pull request to let everyone know
exactly what you're asking me to pull.  You can find Greg's git tree
here:

	git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/gregkh/usb-2.6.git

Alternately, you can just send a patch generated with git format-patch
or git send-email.

Sarah Sharp