Re: USB 3.0 Hub Downgrading to 2.0 Speeds Automatically

On Wed, Feb 02, 2011 at 02:36:49PM -0800, Joshua Scoggins wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Two months ago I purchased a USB 3.0 card for my computer and it
> worked amazingly well with Linux right out of the box.  I got
> tired of having to reach behind my computer to switch cables so I
> purchased a USB 3.0 hub last week

You did?  From where?  What specific model is this?  I didn't think that
USB 3.0 hubs were on the market just yet (yes, I have one I found in
Japan, but it doesn't really work all that well...)

> and while Linux detects the
> hub and knows its a SuperSpeed device it is automatically downgraded
> to USB 2.0 speeds.  I checked the dmesg
> log and it said the following:
>
> "usb 2-1: new SuperSpeed USB device using xhci_hcd and address 2"
> <more messages>
> "hub 2-1:1.0: config failed, can't read hub descriptor (err -22)"
>
> The interesting part is that the transfer rate of all three of my USB
> 3.0 HDD enclosures in this mode is about 30-40 megabytes per second.
> If I plug the device into the ports on the back of the computer
> directly I get 80-125 megabytes per second so I know it's an issue
> with the hub.
> I even double checked that I didn't get scammed using Kinfocenter and
> it said that it was a USB 3.0 hub with a VIA chipset with a USB 2.0
> hub
> subdevice.
>
> My question is am I doing something wrong or is this a bug?

What kernel version are you using?  Can you try 2.6.38-rc3 to see if
your hub works with that release?

thanks,

greg k-h