Re: LG LTE USB modem

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 04:06:35PM -0500, Brian Walsh wrote:
> To communicate with the device over the cdc-acm interface you need to use
> the mux protocol it has implemented.  You can not open the cdc-acm port in
> minicom and just start issuing AT commands.  I was not sure if this should
> be addressed as a new usb driver or possibly as a tty line discipline.

Hm, maybe something that modemmanager could handle for you?  Have you
asked the developers of that program about this?

> I was able to write a simple daemon using a socket file to communicate with
> the muxed AT port on the cdc-acm interface.  This does not allow me to use
> ppp over this communication method though.  I am not sure if the ethernet
> interface was fully working properly under linux and wanted to try a ppp
> connection.

Try the ethernet connection, hopefully that would be the best way to
talk to the modem, and is the way that most devices are going in the
future.

If neither of these work out, we can write a simple usb-serial driver
that exposes the individual endpoints as tty devices but even then, you
will have to work with modemmanager to properly tie it in and get it to
work properly.

thanks,

greg k-h