Re: LG LTE USB modem

On Thu, Jan 13, 2011 at 2:17 PM, Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 12, 2011 at 07:51:07PM -0500, Brian Walsh wrote:
>> I have an LG LTE USB modem device. ÂUnder windows the device presents itself
>> as 7 serial ports and 1 ethernet interface. ÂUnder linux the device presents
>> itself as 1 cdc-acm device and 1 usb ethernet device. ÂI captured some usbmon
>> logs of the communication with the device under a Windows VM. ÂIt appears to
>> be using a simple mux protocol. ÂI attached a segment of the usbmon log file
>> that shows the communication with the AT serial port.
>>
>> Is there any existing driver which follows a format like this that can be
>> modified to support this device?
>
> What's wrong with using the cdc-acm and usb ethernet connections that
> are bound to the device from Linux? Âdo they not work properly?
>
> thanks,
>
> greg k-h

To communicate with the device over the cdc-acm interface you need to use
the mux protocol it has implemented.  You can not open the cdc-acm port in
minicom and just start issuing AT commands.  I was not sure if this should
be addressed as a new usb driver or possibly as a tty line discipline.

I was able to write a simple daemon using a socket file to communicate with
the muxed AT port on the cdc-acm interface.  This does not allow me to use
ppp over this communication method though.  I am not sure if the ethernet
interface was fully working properly under linux and wanted to try a ppp
connection.

Brian