Re: USB controller on Fedora 12 on dual CPU Intel based Lap Top with singl e USB port

On Sat, Dec 18, 2010 at 03:42:45PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sat, 18 Dec 2010, pevnev@xxxxxxxx wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I have Fedora 12 running on dual CPU (0.8 - 1.6 GHz) Intel  based Lap Top with single USB port
> > This USB port is directly  (no USB hub) connected to FTDI's FT2232HL USB device (which is integrated into Xilinx FPGA of
> > the custom board) which is continuously sending data to usb port at Lap Top at speed from 8 to 11 GByte/sec
>
> 8 GB/s is well beyond the capability of USB.  Do you perhaps mean 8 to
> 11 KB/s?
>
> > The application software (based on FTDI's D2XX API interface) ,which  is trying to receive this data, is running on that LapTop ToughBook as a real time task.
> > The FTDI's D2XX API interface supplies the call to check whether data is locally available and another call to read it out.
> > Typically  the data bytes are available at intervals between 3 and 20 msec but sometimes the data is absent for 120 msec and longer ..
> > The USB  wireshark  analyzer, installed on that Lap Top, shows that data is flowing continuously
> > What debugging does Linux USB interface has (as built-in) to invoke in order to see what causes such long (120 msec and longer) delays
> >  ?
>
> You can use strace to record what the application is doing.
>
> By the way, contrary to what Greg KH said earlier, USB is fairly
> reliable for time-critical work _if_ there is only one device on the
> bus.

Even then, I have seen problems happen when people try to rely on that
data always being sent/received within tight bounds.  So it's really not
safe to use USB with that type of expectation, even with a RT kernel
running, as things do have a tendancy to have long delays without
warnings.

So I really wouldn't recommend USB for RT systems, and the RT Linux
people also seem to agree based on their testing and experience (laser
welding robots and the like.)

thanks,

greg k-h