Re: Iomega Ego USB3.0 2TB drive - error on "remove safely"

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010, Jon 'maddog' Hall wrote:

> Hi,
> Attached are some errors that I have been getting on an Iomega Ego 2TB
> USB 3.0 drive when I mark it for "Safe Removal".  This happens whether I
> attach it to a USB 2.0 or USB3.0 controller.
>
> It is an ext4 filesystem, if that makes any difference.
>
> I searched for this error message on the Internet, and it has been
> around a while on various devices, but I have seen no real good answer
> as to what the error means, whether it is just advisory, and what you
> can do to get rid of it.

It means that GNOME wasn't able to send a SYNCHRONIZE CACHE command
(telling the drive to write the contents of its cache memory out to the
storage medium) or a START STOP command (telling the drive to spin
down).  It is largely advisory; drives automatically write out their
caches fairly frequently and it doesn't really matter much if the drive
doesn't get spun down.

Whether you can get rid of it depends on the reason for the errors.  In
the usbmon trace you posted earlier, the drive responded with an error
to the SYNCHRONIZE CACHE command.  The error indicated that the drive
thought the command was malformed, even though it wasn't.  I don't know
of any way to fix that.

> If I should be sending this to some other person, please let me know,
> but since the only device I have seen it on is a USB3.0 disk I thought I
> would start here.

This is a property of the drive, not the type of connection.  It might
even be a bug in the drive.

Alan Stern