Re: [RFC] usb,serial: Make ZTE modem work again

On Wed, 15 Dec 2010 12:06:20 -0500
Don Zickus <dzickus@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 15, 2010 at 11:27:29AM -0200, Herton Ronaldo Krzesinski wrote:
> > > These usb modems expose this /dev/srX with windows drivers etc., but are of
> > > no use in Linux. Newer distros automatically should eject this CD-rom only
> > > devices to get the real modem, for example usb_modeswitch can be used for
> > > this, see his page which also has more explanations:
> > > http://www.draisberghof.de/usb_modeswitch/
> >
> > Forgot to say, like zhao ming said, you can add a quirk to usb-storage too to
> > automatically eject the device, but may be the user space option to eject it
> > is more feasible.
>
> Part of the problem is the person reporting the problem says the device
> never shows up as a cd-rom, so usb_modeswitch never gets a chance to do
> its magic.
>
> Thoughts?

Hmm strange, in this case may be usb-storage isn't loaded or built in, so no
device is created which can be ejected.

It can be also some program already tried to switch it to modem mode using a
custom command which didn't work, and left device at a wrong state. I don't
know what the system has, but may be it has some pre-configured udev rule,
check /etc/udev/rules.d/ and /lib/udev/rules.d/ for rules which match
19d2:2000 id. If it has, comment the rule and ask to device to be inserted
again, and use directly the eject command, if this works, then that rule/
program which runs it to eject should be at fault.

Or this is a different device, and it doesn't export a cdrom device, but still
expect we do something to switch it to modem mode, so needing to really do
something in side usb_storage to switch it to modem mode. If it's a cdrom
storage device, "lsusb -v -d 19d2:2000" should show interface descriptor with:
      bInterfaceClass         8 Mass Storage
      bInterfaceSubClass      6 SCSI
Which then confirms it is a usb-storage device really.

May be Zhao Ming has some other idea too?

--
[]'s
Herton