Re: [RFC] xhci: Resume bus on any port status change.

Sarah,

It is late for me tonight, but I will apply the patch tomorrow morning
and let you know how it goes.

>Thank you very much to Maddog for helping me track down this Heisenbug.

I should be thanking you, Alan and the rest of the USB team for the
great work you have been doing.  One of the reasons I broke down and
bought a new notebook after six years is that the W510 had USB 3.0 in
it.  I was not going to buy another notebook until it had USB 3.0.

I will probably take this last email, print it out and frame it.  It is
nice to know that I can still help with the technical things some times,
even if my "C" code looks a lot like a combination of Fortran and BASIC.

I also found it interesting that there is now a name for my "favorite"
type of bug.  I experienced them often when I was doing a lot of
programming, particularly in the early days of computers when we did not
have separate instruction and data space.  Turn on the debugging aids
and the problems would disappear.

I may blog about "Heisenbugs" tomorrow.

And finally, looking up the term "Heisenbug" led me to a Wikipedia
reference to Jim Gray, who used to work for DEC (among other companies),
and who I knew quite well.  Jim disappeared at sea about four years ago,
but was cited for using the term "Heisenbug" in 1985, which was about
when I knew him.  I have not thought about Jim in a while, but he is
sorely missed.

I will let you know about how the patch goes.

Warmest regards,

md