Re: Request for xHCI testers

"Clemens Ladisch" <clemens@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote in
message news:4CE63991.8050509@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Benjamin David Lunt wrote:
>> my primary development platform is not Linux
>> or Unix based.  Therefore, I do not have the knowledge
>> to develop these tests for a Linux based platform.
>
> If you had explained what your tests do---or even shown the
> source code---, somebody might have been able to write a patch
> for the Linux kernel.

As I said, I have very little knowledge of Linux let alone
how to write code for it.  I am sure you can guess what my
development platform is, and you know that it will not allow
direct port/mmap I/O.  Therefore, I use other machines that
boot directly to FreeDOS that does allow direct I/O access.

I have searched around and most people that use Windows
either don't have or don't care that they have an xHCI.
Then I searched the Linux groups and you guys seem to
care and want to care if you have a xHCI controller.

Therefore, the simplest way that I know how is to write
it to a floppy and boot the floppy.  This way, you have no
effect on your computer what-so-ever.  No files to delete,
no chance of hard drive corruption, or the like.  Most any
other form of portable media is USB and as stated before,
can not be written to after the tests, since it will now
be in the default state.

The tests simply reset the controller, record the initial
register values, time the reset, and check for a few other
features of the controller.  It does very little else.

There is no need for a patch or to even modify the Linux
kernel at all.  I am simply trying to find inconsistencies
or quirks in the hardware.

As you can probably figure, I do not want to release the
source yet.  Since it checks for quirks of the controller,
I would rather not disclose these quirks until my book
is published.  You do understand why, I hope.  My intentions
are completely honest.  I am not trying to discredit the
controller, just simply find quirks or inconsistencies that
a programmer will need to watch for.

Anyway, if anyone feels that they are willing to take
the few minutes and run my tests, I would very much
appreciate it.  If you do not, then don't take the bother.
It is simply a request.

Thank you,
Ben