Re: Problem with USB on Lenovo W510

On Thu, Nov 04, 2010 at 09:32:07AM -0700, VanCutsem, Geoffroy wrote:
> Hi Sarah,

Oh, sorry, I guess I missed that.

> I have done this today and the interesting thing is that with this vanilla 2.6.35.8 kernel (from kernel.org) and debugging turned on, the problem seems to have gone away. I have been able to 'dd' the exact same image onto a USB stick (tried twice, once from a USB3 port and once from the 'normal' port)... so perhaps this is a bug in Ubuntu/Canonical variant of 2.6.35?? I have attahched the relevant dmesg / lspci output to this email.

Well, I'm not so sure you actually triggered the bug.  The previous log
showed the crash after the USB device disconnected in the middle of the
dd transfer.  This log doesn't show a disconnect during a transfer under
the USB 3.0 port; it only shows a disconnect when you switched the
device over to the USB 2.0 port.

You can probably trigger the bug if you physically pull out the device
while you're in the middle of the dd.  Can you try that with the
2.6.35.8 kernel?

Another possibility is the USB core and xHCI debugging is causing a
delay that's hiding the bug.  You can also try turning off debugging on
the 2.6.35.8 kernel and dding a iso over, if yanking out the device
doesn't cause the bug.

Sarah Sharp