Re: USB storage fails to initialize device for MP3 player. How to debug?

On Mon, 18 Oct 2010, Manuel Reimer wrote:

> Alan Stern wrote:
> > What version of the Linux kernel are you using?
>
> 2.6.35.3-smp
>
> >  What shows up in
> > "lsmod" after you plug in the player?
>
> If I save output of lsmod before and after plugging the player and run
> diff with the two logs, then the only line, that gets added, is usb-storage
>
> >  And what do you see in
> > /proc/scsi/usb-storage?
>
> After plugging in *just* this player (no other usb storage device), I
> don't have /proc/scsi/usb-storage at all.
>
> > If you can, try building a kernel with CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG enabled
> > and then see what shows up in the dmesg log when the player is plugged
> > in.
>
> Did so:
>
> usb 2-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 6
> usb 2-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0402, idProduct=5668
> usb 2-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=3, Product=1, SerialNumber=2
> usb 2-1: Product: Intenso Music Walker
> usb 2-1: Manufacturer: ALi Corp.
> usb 2-1: SerialNumber: 91029639100000001403
> usb-storage: USB Mass Storage device detected
> usb-storage: -- associate_dev
> usb-storage: Vendor: 0x0402, Product: 0x5668, Revision: 0x0002
> usb-storage: Interface Subclass: 0x06, Protocol: 0x50
> usb-storage: Transport: Bulk
> usb-storage: Protocol: Transparent SCSI
> scsi10 : usb-storage 2-1:1.0
> usb-storage: *** thread sleeping.
> usb-storage 2-1:1.0: device found
> usb-storage 2-1:1.0: waiting for device to settle before scanning
> usb-storage: storage_disconnect() called
> usb-storage: -- usb_stor_release_resources
> usb-storage: -- sending exit command to thread
> usb-storage: *** thread awakened.
> usb-storage: -- exiting
> usb-storage: -- dissociate_dev

This shows that usb-storage doesn't have a chance to use the device; it
gets unbound before anything can happen.  Which strongly suggests that
the problem is caused by some other program running on your machine.

You might be able find out by enabling CONFIG_USB_DEBUG and turning on
the usbfs_snoop module parameter for usbcore.  Oh, and while you're
doing that, it would also be a good idea to enable CONFIG_PRINTK_TIME.

Alan Stern