Re: MTP gadget driver

On Fri, Oct 8, 2010 at 1:12 AM, Roger Quadros <roger.quadros@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 10/07/2010 07:34 PM, ext Brett Werling wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know what the status is on the requirement of the MS OS
>> Descriptor?
>

> I don't think MS OS descriptor is required any more since now MTP is an
> approved USB Class. i.e. it has to use the PTP Class code.
>
> The host should identify if the PTP device supports MTP extensions and
> identify the device as MTP.
>
> However, if you fail to use MS OS descriptor, leagcy Windows OS'es will
> identify your device as PTP only, unless you supply a .inf file to load the
> MTP drivers for your device.

Will my device appear to the hose as a PTP device then? What can be
done if I only want to support MTP and then fall back to MSC?  i.e. -
I'd rather not have a prompt saying my device is a digital still
camera or something along these lines.

> I can confirm that OS descriptors is not required for Windows 7 at least. It
> correctly identifies an MTP device. And OS descriptors may have some legal
> chains tied to it.
> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/connect/usb/os_desc.mspx
>
>> I'm trying to determine what the best course of action is
>> for determining if a host supports MTP.
>>

> If you get a set configuration request it means the host most likely
> supports it. Don't depend on these OS descriptor requests for this. Non
> Windows OS'es will not request it.

I've noticed some devices that I've tested used the vendor specific
interface device class, and yet Win 7 and Win XP didn't ask for an OS
descriptor. Is this possibly because Windows recognizes the
manufacturer/model and knows to load the proper MTP driver?

> --
> regards,
> -roger

Thanks,