Re: How to go about debugging usb driver.

On 09/20/2010 12:15 PM, Martin Fuzzey wrote:
I'd say the first thing would be to try to capture any messages the kernel sends
before rebooting (panic, ...)

Does this device have a serial port that can be used as a console?
Well, it does on the board, but I do not have the requisite voltage converter, so I'm just relying on the net. At the moment, I ssh into the box and track /var/log/messages, which gets populated, as expected.

If not you may be able to use a network console (see
Documentation/networking/netconsole.txt in the kernel sources).
That will require that you can set the kernel command line from
the bootloader and probably recompile the kernel (as it is
unlikely to have netconsole support builtin)

I'll try to throw netconsole in. But is it not going to be the same set of messages I get via syslog? And why don't I see much in /var/log/messages. Can I alter some flags in to make it more verbose.

Usblp is sprinkled around with lots of dbg(...) calls, I'm surprised not any of those make it to /var/log/messages.

There is also busybox's syslogd, which I could redirect to host:port using -R :)

Will netconsole give anymore insights.?

cheers
~cool