Re: file_storage.c vs f_mass_storage.c - why some devices cannot see storage that uses f_mass_storage.c

So the issue is apparently the fact that the Xbox 360 issues certain
SCSI commands with cbw->Length of 10.  My previous searches in this
group for "xbox 360" failed, I should have tried "xbox360".

I found a post from Felipe Balbi back in 2008
(http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/10058) along with a
patch for g_file_storage where he checks whether the SCSI command size
is < fsg command size and then sets the command size appropriately.
After making this 2 line change, everything works.

I am still puzzled, how would I have found this without access to the
360?  It seems I would need to run usbmon on the 360 and look for the
length of certain SCSI commands.  I would like to nail down some
analysis procedures to increase my chances of dealing with similar
issues in the future.  If you suspected this issue on a closed host,
how would you verify it?

To answer some final questions.
@Roger/Michal
Yes, this driver uses other composite functions - usb ethernet, tty,
serial and novacom.  But I had commented out these options during
testing, leaving only the mass storage function as the 1st and only
configuration.

@Michal
The f_mass_storage.c that was included in this kernel is the version
by Mike Lockwood.

Zach