Re: file_storage.c vs f_mass_storage.c - why some devices cannot see storage that uses f_mass_storage.c

On Tue, 14 Sep 2010, Zachary Burke wrote:

> So the issue is apparently the fact that the Xbox 360 issues certain
> SCSI commands with cbw->Length of 10.  My previous searches in this
> group for "xbox 360" failed, I should have tried "xbox360".
>
> I found a post from Felipe Balbi back in 2008
> (http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.usb.general/10058) along with a
> patch for g_file_storage where he checks whether the SCSI command size
> is < fsg command size and then sets the command size appropriately.
> After making this 2 line change, everything works.
>
> I am still puzzled, how would I have found this without access to the
> 360?  It seems I would need to run usbmon on the 360 and look for the
> length of certain SCSI commands.  I would like to nail down some
> analysis procedures to increase my chances of dealing with similar
> issues in the future.  If you suspected this issue on a closed host,
> how would you verify it?

You can turn on verbose debugging in g_file_storage, and even tell it
to dump every message to the kernel log.  It may or may not be possible
to do the same thing in your version of the mass_storage driver.

Alan Stern