Re: option_instat_callback: error -71

On Wed, 1 Sep 2010, Artem Makhutov wrote:

> > Are you sure about that?  In the log you posted there were several
> > errors; it looked like everything kept on working okay after the first
> > couple of them.
>
> Yes, in this logs the errors were not that hard.
> The option_instat_callback: error -71 did not appeared. I loose the
> connection only after option_instat_callback: error.

I don't recall seeing any of those errors in the logs you posted, just
the -32 errors.  To tell the truth, I can't imagine why the modem would
send a STALL on its interrupt endpoint (which is what -32 means).
Maybe it's some weird reaction to other communication errors.

> I have assembled a new pc - also an Intel Atom based one - but with a
> different mainboard. I have installed FreeBSD on it and here I could
> reproduce the problem also on FreeBSD.
>
> I got a lot of error messages in dmesg and FreeBSD was disconnecting the
> whole USB-Hub.
>
> Now I got a D-Link DUB-H7 USB-Hub. After connecting the modems directly
> to it all the problems have gone.
>
> And now I am really confused.
>
> What influence can this hub have on the modems? Why did the problem
> happened on all other USB-Hubs. I have tried ~6 different USB-Hubs. It
> works only with the D-Link hub...

It beats me.  Maybe the D-Link hub has better shielding or better
terminations, or is somehow more resistant to noise.

Alan Stern