Re: option_instat_callback: error -71

Hello,

Alan Stern schrieb:
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010, Artem Makhutov wrote:

Maybe this are the RF-interferences of the modems.

That certainly is possible.  Are the modems close together?

Yes, the modems are close together.

I can try to rework my "RF-shielding-case" for the usb-hubs by soldering
all remaining holes.

No, it makes no difference. I was also able to reproduce this problem with
only 3 modems directly connected to the motherboard - without add-on cards.

Also on different computers.

I wouldn't be surprised if it happened even with only 2 modems.

That's another indication of a hardware problem.  Furthermore, this
particular error code (xacterr in the log) comes directly from the
controller itself.  It indicates that the computer failed to receive a
packet the modem should have sent.

Can it be possible that the USB traffic from one modem is somehow
influencing other modems?

No; only one device is allowed to transmit on the USB bus at any time,
and a device listens only to packets sent by the host to the device's
address.

This kind of problems were reported by a lot of different users.
As I said before I have also this kind of problems on different computers.
So I don't think that this is a problem with my cables.

It's possible that somehow the problem is in the EHCI controller.  But
if it is, I have no idea what the cause is or how to work around it.

Usually I am loosing the connection to the modem after such a problem.
I can not send any commands to the modem any more and I also can't
receive any "updates" from the modem after such a "crash". The only
thing that I can do is replugging the modem or restarting the PC.

Are you sure about that?  In the log you posted there were several
errors; it looked like everything kept on working okay after the first
couple of them.

Yes, in this logs the errors were not that hard.
The option_instat_callback: error -71 did not appeared. I loose the connection only after option_instat_callback: error.

This did not happend on FreeBSD. All modems were fully operational the
whole time.

Tomorrow I will do some more tests.

During the last test all modems were idle. Only the "control connection"
was opened.

Yes, that's where the errors occurred.  And at least one of them
occurred while there was no "control data" being sent.  The host polled
the endpoint to see if any data was ready and then it did not receive
the "no data" signal from the modem.

I have assembled a new pc - also an Intel Atom based one - but with a different mainboard. I have installed FreeBSD on it and here I could reproduce the problem also on FreeBSD.

I got a lot of error messages in dmesg and FreeBSD was disconnecting the whole USB-Hub.

Now I got a D-Link DUB-H7 USB-Hub. After connecting the modems directly to it all the problems have gone.

And now I am really confused.

What influence can this hub have on the modems? Why did the problem happened on all other USB-Hubs. I have tried ~6 different USB-Hubs. It works only with the D-Link hub...

Thanks, Artem