Re: /sys/.../power/autosuspend format

On Mon, 30 Aug 2010, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> I guess I'd need to know more about how the USB autosuspend mechanism works
> to understand it entirely.
>
> I really don't think it's a good idea to even change the way pm_schedule_suspend()
> works, because it's already been used by drivers that don't support device
> autosuspend.  So, if autosuspend support is needed at the PM core level, I'd
> prefer it to be added in the form of a separate helper function (that may share
> code with the existing ones).
>
> Also, IMO, suspend_delay_ms should be accessible to user space only if the
> device's driver and/or subsystem support autosuspend, so that the meaning of
> the value written to this file by user space is always well defined.

There could be a new use_suspend_delay flag bit.  Subsystems or drivers
could set it, and if it wasn't set then pm_schedule_suspend and the
timer handler would behave the same as they do now.  Also, attempts to
read or write the suspend_delay_ms attribute would fail with -EIO.

Or if you prefer, I could add another routine that would be like
pm_schedule_suspend but only taking the suspend_delay into account.
However it doesn't seem to be necessary given the new flag.

Alan Stern