Re: Problem with SB700 and usb-serial

On Thu, 26 Aug 2010, Bill Pemberton wrote:

> I've run into a problem with usb-serial that has me puzzled.  I've got
> one particular machine where usb-serial devices just don't work.  The
> machine does correctly deal with other USB 1.1 devices, such as a
> keyboard, so it's not just USB in general not working.  The machine
> uses a MSI 760GM-E51 motherboard with the AMD SB700.  The problem is
> that running the serial_loopback perl script will fail at the call to
> getlflag().
>
> I get the same failure using 3 different usb-serial converters: 1 is
> pl2303, 1 is keyspan, and 1 is Quatech SSU-100.  Also I've tried it
> with several different kernel versions including 2.6.35 and
> 2.6.36-rc2.  These combos work on other machines I've got, it's just
> the SB700 based machine where it fails.
>
> I'll attach 2 usbmon output files in case some one can spot a problem
> using them.  The difference between the good and the bad seems minor
> to me.  These are both using a pl2303 based adapter.  The .good
> output was on a AMD-8111 based machine the .bad output is from the MSI
> machine.  In each case the usbmon was run with no other USB devices
> plugged into the machine.  The pl2303 was plugged in,
> serial_loopback.pl -e was run, the pl2303 was unplugged, usbmon was
> stopped.

The main difference between the two files is that the .good run sets
the baud rate to 9600 and the .bad run sets it to 115200.  There's also
a difference later on; the .good file shows three '!' characters being
sent to and read back from the device whereas the .bad file shows no
corresponding I/O.

I don't know the reason for the difference in baud rates.  Did both
machines have the same version of the kernel and the same Perl program
file?

Alan Stern