Re: usb deferred probing

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Christopher Friedt wrote:

> here's a question for the usb core people;
>
> how does one defer the probing of one usb interface until another usb
> interface on the same device has already been probed/

There is no way to defer probing.  You'll have to accomplish an
equivalent result by different means.

> as an example, take a look at the wireless usb / uwb code. in
> drivers/usb/host/hwa-hc.c . hwahc-create [called from hwahc-probe]
> dies if it cannot find an uwb-rc structure in its grandparent.

What do you mean by "its grandparent"?  What is the "grandparent" of
hwahc-create?

> this
> uwb-rc structure is created in drivers/uwb/ the problem is, that the
> uwb-rc structure should always be created before the hwa-hc is probed.
> in reality, in almost never is [with my hardware in any case] so
> module autoloading always fails. the uwb-rc structure is created in
> drivers/uwb/hwa-rc.c [hwarc-probe].
>
> so far i've tried relinquishing control in hwahc-create [using
> schedule] and waiting for some number of tried, but that does not
> work. i also tried inserting and exporting a dummy function in
> hwa-rc.ko, which would be called from probe in hwa-hc.ko, which would
> correct the module dependency, but that did not work either.

Without knowing the details of how this all works, it's hard to give a
good answer.  For example, why is the uwb-rc structure created so late?
What is the relation between the devices passed to hwarc-probe and
hwahc-probe?  Why does the second probe routine get called before the
first has finished?

> does this have anything to do with the 'needs_binding' or
> 'needs_altsetting0' flags/

No.

Alan Stern