Re: EHCI fails for me with "devpath 8 ep2in 3 strikes"

On Fri, 20 Aug 2010 10:50:55 -0400 (EDT), Alan Stern wrote:
> On Fri, 20 Aug 2010, Dennis Nezic wrote:
>
> > > Do other high-speed devices work okay with the SB400 controller?
> >
> > Yes, i've used a bunch of usb2 devices before without any problems.
>
> I didn't ask about USB-2 devices; I asked about high-speed devices.
> They aren't the same thing.
>
> > Any suggestions on how to go about debugging this? Some kind of
> > usb-wire sniffer?
>
> That's one possibility.  High-speed USB bus analyzers tend to be
> expensive.  The cheapest one I know of (the Beagle-480 from
> Totalphase) costs $1200.
>
> Besides, debugging isn't helpful if it doesn't show you how to fix the
> problem.  I suspect it won't.
>
> Another thing you could do is measure the electrical impedance of the
> various USB connections on the host controller and on the device, and
> compare the values with what the USB-2.0 specification says.
> Sometimes manufacturers don't use the right components.

Well, I didn't try measuring the impedances, nor analyzing with the
Beagle, but I did play around with a 10-foot usb-extension cable and a
4-port usb2 hub. It turns out that, magically, plugging in the usb card
reader into only one of the four ports kindof worked -- a few XactErrs,
but I was able to mount the sd-card. (I have no idea why only 1 of the
4 ports "worked" -- they look pretty symmetric and equal at first
glance :S.) Things only kindof-worked via this 4-port-hub.) Adding the
10-foot extension cable (before the hub) seemed to make it "work" a bit
better -- a few less XactErrs -- and I was able to transfer a few MB
files over successfully (md5sum'ed). Transferring a 300MB file failed
at 115MB consistently with i/o errors.

(Putting the 10ft usb extension cable after the 4-port hub (farther
from my laptop) made my laptop use ohci instead, which always worked.)

My head hurts.