Re: USB devices without a driver

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 07:32:45PM +0100, Mark Hackett wrote:
> I had hoped that, like the standard LPT1: and COM1: devices under DOS
> that a USB device would be able to be written to without a driver as
> long as you sent the right protocol down to the device (or endpoint).
>
> E.g. under dos you could:
>
> C:&gt cat myfile.txt &gt LPT1:
>
> and your printer would print the ASCII file out.
>
> Doesn't seem to work for USB, despite being apparently a serial bus.

Heh, usb is anything but a "serial" bus, why did you think otherwise?

Anyway, you can do the above just fine, it works for printers that
accept ascii, which are pretty rare these days.

> So, am I barking up the wrong tree about how you must talk to a USB
> device in Linux? Do you HAVE to write a URB, or is there a way to (if
> you have a USB printer that will accept ASCII text stream for
> printing) "cat myfile.txt &gt /dev/usb/2-1:1.1" and get the printer on
> that device printing your text?

There is a printer driver, have you looked at that?

> If you HAVE to URB, why? Is this something that could be done at the
> USB subsystem level to let a binary/ascii stream go to the device,
> packaged by the fact that it's in the USB subsystem into microframes
> by that system itself, and leave it up to the user to know that the
> file being sent there is talking the jive with the device.
>
> NOTE: I do have a device which is a BULKIO device and I know the
> binary protocol to make it work. I'd rather make a perl program that
> writes up the binary packet and prints it to the device than have to
> make a device driver or build up Device::USB etc for any platform
> (e.g. OLPC) that I want to drive it with.

Please take a look at the book, Linux Device Drivers, third edition, the
USB chapter for answers to all of these questions.  The book is free
online as well.

thanks,

greg k-h