USB devices without a driver

I had hoped that, like the standard LPT1: and COM1: devices under DOS
that a USB device would be able to be written to without a driver as
long as you sent the right protocol down to the device (or endpoint).

E.g. under dos you could:

C:&gt cat myfile.txt &gt LPT1:

and your printer would print the ASCII file out.

Doesn't seem to work for USB, despite being apparently a serial bus.

So, am I barking up the wrong tree about how you must talk to a USB
device in Linux? Do you HAVE to write a URB, or is there a way to (if
you have a USB printer that will accept ASCII text stream for
printing) "cat myfile.txt &gt /dev/usb/2-1:1.1" and get the printer on
that device printing your text?

If you HAVE to URB, why? Is this something that could be done at the
USB subsystem level to let a binary/ascii stream go to the device,
packaged by the fact that it's in the USB subsystem into microframes
by that system itself, and leave it up to the user to know that the
file being sent there is talking the jive with the device.

NOTE: I do have a device which is a BULKIO device and I know the
binary protocol to make it work. I'd rather make a perl program that
writes up the binary packet and prints it to the device than have to
make a device driver or build up Device::USB etc for any platform
(e.g. OLPC) that I want to drive it with.