Re: USB card reader autosuspend

On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> Am Montag, 16. August 2010, 17:27:23 schrieb Alan Stern:
> > On Mon, 16 Aug 2010, Oliver Neukum wrote:
>
> > > Don't we sync cache in sd when suspend() is called?
> >
> > Yes.
>
> OK, I am dense ;-) Sync or no sync?

No, the fault is mine.  I was trying to remember an old train of
thought and got it wrong.  It's not a matter of synchronizing the
cache; it's a matter of writing back dirty pages from the page cache.
Linux does this automatically when you close the device file.  I didn't
want to worry about devices failing to resume while there were dirty
pages.

> > You're right that the
> > open/close aspect may not be useful.  But let's check on linux-scsi
> > before making any changes.
>
> Yes.

Okay, I'll post a message there.

Alan Stern