Re: EHCI fails for me with "devpath 8 ep2in 3 strikes"

On Sun, 15 Aug 2010 12:10:30 +0800, Ming Lei wrote:
> 2010/8/15 Dennis Nezic
> <dennisn@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> > It looks like that patch made things more consistently *worse* :b --
> > which I guess is some kind of progress? :b In the "detected XactErr"
> > messages, absolutely nothing is transferred? (ie. the ratios are
> > always 0/some-low-number ... whereas before there was a lot more
> > variety like 3584/4096, etc.).
>
> Sorry, I don't have any ideas about it.
>
> 'detected XactErr' means below (from ehci 1.0 pg. 54)
>
> Transaction Error (XactErr). Set to a one by the Host Controller
> during status update in the case where the host did not receive a
> valid response from the device (Timeout, CRC, Bad PID, etc.). Refer
> to Section 4.15.1.1 for summary of the conditions that affect this
> bit. If the host controller sets this bit to a one, then
> it remains a one for the duration of the transfer.
>
> Generally speaking, it means a hardware level issue.
>
> The patch only adds 125us delay before transmitting data with device
> or receiving CSW. I don't know why it make more worse than before,
> seems it should not put any side effect on normal device.

Well, it does :P -- and IMHO it's an important clue. If adding a 120us
delay degrades performance* considerably, perhaps (pure handwaving) it
is some kind of timing or interrupt problem?

* (Before the patch, it made a little progress -- it was able to detect
the capacity of the memory card in it -- with the patch it gets almost
nowhere... although in both cases, the first 3 or 4
usb_stor_bulk_transfer's consistently work perfectly -- the problematic
transfers only seem to happen a bit after the scsi multiple lun
detection thingy finishes.)

> BTW:  You try the card reader on Windows  OK, is the windows installed
> on the same machine with linux?  Are you sure for the same machine and
> same card reader(includes cable), only windows can work and linux does
> not work?

I tested it with another MSWindows machine, same cable.