Re: [patch 2/6] scsi/sr: add no_read_disc_info scsi_device flag

On Sat, 2010-08-14 at 15:45 -0700, Matthew Dharm wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 03:36:48PM -0700, Matthew Dharm wrote:
> > That said, James has not yet addressed my point about allowing userspace
> > tools to attempt the command, if they believe they can generate it.  Nor
> > has he addressed the history of this practice, whereby changing SCSI was
> > the only way to prevent revisting the same fixes over and over again.
>
> Personally, I would also like to hear James' thoughts on future "cheap"
> devices.
>
> Specifically, we constantly see more and more devices which only implement
> enough functionality to respond properly to commands generate from Windows
> or MacOS (and MacOS is a distant second).  I'm not just talking about
> command opcodes, but also parameters (i.e. max number of sectors to
> transfer, mode pages supported, etc.)

Well, we've parametrised a lot of this stuff already.  There's
(fortunately) only a finite number of ways manufacturers can screw up
the mandatory initialisation sequences.

> Generally, the only way to improve interoperability with these sorts of
> devices is to make our stack operate more similarly to the "popular" OSes.
> Many people have tried and failed over the years to get the device vendors
> to change, and that's just not going to happen.

I'm not really aware at the present time that there's a problem here.
What we've already done seems to be working ... we should wait until
trouble comes rather than borrowing it.

> With more and more devices using SCSI (atapi, sata, usb MSC, sbp2, uas, etc.),

SATA isn't SCSI its Serial ATA.  There is a SATAPI which is Serial ATAPI
(manly MMC and SSC over ATA over serial).  UAS is the one I most fear in
the above, but, as I said, since there's no current implementation, lets
not borrow trouble.

> it seems reasonable to me that we're going to see the same device-side
> issues in one transport that we see in another.  It is worth noting that
> the sbp2 folks did gain from some of the changes we made for MSC, such as
> the MODE_SENSE behavior.  So, there is some history of success with this
> approach.
>
> So, to me, it seems that we should be 'fixing' (and I use that term
> loosely) these things in SCSI, which is common to all of those transports.

Rather than being pejorative, why not just look at the potential fixes
and see where they best fit?  I grant that a spec failure in a mandatory
command we don't currently parametrise will likely need fixing in SCSI.
However, just a missing failure response to an optional command (a
common firmware mistake) can easily be fixed in USB without troubling
SCSI.

James