Re: [patch 2/6] scsi/sr: add no_read_disc_info scsi_device flag

On Sat, Aug 14, 2010 at 05:11:24PM -0500, James Bottomley wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-08-14 at 14:06 -0700, Greg KH wrote:

> > > Just what I've already said: it doesn't fix the whole problem.
> > >
> > > Since there's already filtering in the stor thread, just use that to
> > > return ILLEGAL REQUEST, which is what the devices would return if their
> > > firmware didn't crash.
> >
> > I thought Matt said there was no filtering there, that's the issue.
>
> It already filters INQUIRY ... this is just another couple of commands.

INQUIRY is the *only* command filtered.  It is filtered only for devices
that return garbage, since it is a MANDATORY command from a point of view
of making a device discoverable.  In other words, it would be unreasonable
to ask SCSI or userspace not to generate it.

It would hardly call this an "infrastructure" for filtering commands.

That said, James has not yet addressed my point about allowing userspace
tools to attempt the command, if they believe they can generate it.  Nor
has he addressed the history of this practice, whereby changing SCSI was
the only way to prevent revisting the same fixes over and over again.

Matt

--
Matthew Dharm                              Home: mdharm-usb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

M:  No, Windows doesn't have any nag screens.
C:  Then what are those blue and white screens I get every day?
					-- Mike and Cobb
User Friendly, 1/4/1999