Re: usb3.0 not recognizing hard disk.

On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 9:51 AM, Jeff Chua <jeff.chua.linux@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 4, 2010 at 4:31 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Sarah Sharp wrote:
>> What was the exact failure case for fdisk?
>> > Would it hang or would it quit with some sort of error message?
>
> # fdisk /dev/sdb
> Unable to open /dev/sdb
>
>> Neither of these will help.  The usbmon log shows that the drive is
>> claiming no medium is present.  usb-storage debugging will just show
>> the same thing, and fdisk won't work.
>
> Right. That was what I noticed before. linux/drivers/scsi/sd.c
> sdkp->media_present = 0.
>
>> > One thing I noticed is that your device is running in high speed mode.
>> > It should have switched over to SuperSpeed mode after it was reset by
>> > the USB core.  Can you get it to enumerate as SuperSpeed by plugging the
>> > device in after an unload/reload of the xHCI driver?
>>
>> That may be related to the problem.  Perhaps the drive gets confused
>> when trying to connect at SuperSpeed, and then falls back to high speed
>> and stops working.
>
> I've tried all sorts of things and combinations with unloading/loading
> usb_storage and xhci_hcd.
>
> Is this what you're looking for? It seems to have problem with the
> "short transfer" ...

Alan, Sarah,

I've good news. It's working now.

It turned out that the External USB3 SATA enclosure needs more power,
but the USB3 port can't supply enough!!! I was using an SSD so can't
hear the disk spin and since the disk enclosure works in a normal USB2
port, I thought it's same thing when plugged into an USB3 port. And
there's no socket on the enclosure to plug in additional power. ... I
had assume that since my USB 2.0 thumb drive works in the USB3 port,
the USB3 drive enclosure would work the same.

I discovered the problem only when I decided to try out an normal hard
disk in place of the SSD. That's when I discovered that when the drive
is plugged into to a USB3 port, it won't spin! ... But the same
enclosure spins up fine on a USB2 port.

Now I'm testing a different disk enclosure with external power and the
USB3 host is able to recognize the disk. Hey, disk spins up nicely. I
don't the additional extermal +12V to power the drive, but that's all
I can get in Singapore now.

Thanks for your help!
Jeff