Re: usb3.0 not recognizing hard disk.

On Tue, 3 Aug 2010, Sarah Sharp wrote:

> Both the dmesg and the USBmon output show that URBs were successfully
> given back to the USB mass storage driver.  Then the mass storage driver
> just stopped sending URBs at some point.  There's no errors on the xHCI
> driver side that I see.
>
> I guess the next level of debug to turn on is CONFIG_USB_STORAGE_DEBUG.
> If that doesn't show anything interesting, you should see if you can get
> more debug out of fdisk.  What was the exact failure case for fdisk?
> Would it hang or would it quit with some sort of error message?

Neither of these will help.  The usbmon log shows that the drive is
claiming no medium is present.  usb-storage debugging will just show
the same thing, and fdisk won't work.

> One thing I noticed is that your device is running in high speed mode.
> It should have switched over to SuperSpeed mode after it was reset by
> the USB core.  Can you get it to enumerate as SuperSpeed by plugging the
> device in after an unload/reload of the xHCI driver?

That may be related to the problem.  Perhaps the drive gets confused
when trying to connect at SuperSpeed, and then falls back to high speed
and stops working.

Alan Stern

P.S.: Sarah, couldn't you have trimmed out those 7400 lines of useless
data in your previous reply?