Re: how to test USB serial device

hi all::
thanks for your help.

2010/8/3 Greg KH <greg@xxxxxxxxx>:
> On Tue, Aug 03, 2010 at 12:24:08AM +0800, loody wrote:
>> Dear all:
>> I am poring usb serial device on my embedded system.
>> But I have no idea whether there exist simple test procedure on linux
>> for such device.
>> ( i know there are some terminal tools, but they are too complicated
>> for me, since I have to spend time on cross-compiling them)
>
> minicom?
>
>> suppose I create a tty usb device node.
>> Can I just "echo test > device node" and I will see "test" on the receiver?
>> (suppose serial device driver has implement write)
>
> That doesn't always work.
so you mean that may or may not work.

> If you have perl on your system, and a loopback plug on your
> usb-to-serial device, here's a simple script that I use for testing.
I don't have perl at my target board. :)

so from your suggestions I have 2 choices:
1. porting terminal tools, like minicom. ( I am afraid that i may need
to cross-compile other libs and stuck on them rather than verify my
porting.)
2. porting perl. ( the same concern  above)
is there any simper way to do so?
( I just need send some text to my usb serial device)
appreciate your kind help :)
miloody