how to test USB serial device

Dear all:
I am poring usb serial device on my embedded system.
But I have no idea whether there exist simple test procedure on linux
for such device.
( i know there are some terminal tools, but they are too complicated
for me, since I have to spend time on cross-compiling them)

suppose I create a tty usb device node.
Can I just "echo test > device node" and I will see "test" on the receiver?
(suppose serial device driver has implement write)
appreciate your help,
miloody