Re: Hercules Deejay Trim, "not enough bandwidth"

On Tue, Jul 27, 2010 at 12:23 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Jul 2010, Sam Gentle wrote:
>> >
>> > Can you provide a usbmon trace?
>>
>> While I was doing this I made a discovery - arecord actually works (I
>> was doing testing using xwax). It looks like the problem might have
>> something to do with opening the device in duplex mode, but that's all
>> I've got.
>
> The traces show that, as you discovered, the problem occurs only when
> the device is used for both input and output at the same time.  Even
> more than that, it occurs only when the output is started first (which
> is what happened with the xwax and jackd-duplex tests).  When the input
> is started first (as in the arecord-aplay test), it works okay.

Aha! I tried a few more contrived aplay/arecord tests and it's exactly
as you say.

> Ultimately this comes down to weaknesses in ehci-hcd's scheduling of
> periodic transfers through Transaction Translators.  That whole part of
> the driver needs to be rewritten.
>
> For now, your best bet may be to force the built-in hub to connect at
> full speed instead of high speed.  You can do this by writing the hub's
> port number to the "companion" file in the EHCI controller's sysfs
> directory.  For example, in your "connect" log the hub was attached to
> port 6 on bus 1, so you could do:
>
>        echo 6 >/sys/bus/usb/devices/usb1/../companion

Hm. There are no files named companion anywhere in my /sys/bus/usb
tree. A post here from a year and a half ago suggests I might need to
disable CONFIG_USB_EHCI_ROOT_HUB_TT - is that it?

Sam