Re: Hercules Deejay Trim, "not enough bandwidth"

On Mon, Jul 26, 2010 at 2:14 AM, Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sun, 25 Jul 2010, Sam Gentle wrote:
>> When I attempt to record from it, I get "ALSA start: broken pipe" and
>> this error in my dmesg: "cannot submit datapipe for urb 0, error -28:
>> not enough bandwidth"
>
> You might try disconnecting the webcam.  (Or if it's hard-wired into
> the machine and you can't disconnect it, unload its driver.)

No luck, I'm afraid. I modprobe -r'd the (internal) webcam away, and
then tried disabling it in the bios, neither helped.

> Can you provide a usbmon trace?

While I was doing this I made a discovery - arecord actually works (I
was doing testing using xwax). It looks like the problem might have
something to do with opening the device in duplex mode, but that's all
I've got.

I've attached a few traces:
  arecord -D plughw:1 -d 1 (works)
  arecord -D plughw:1 -d 1 | aplay -D plughw:1 (works)
  xwax -a plughw:1 (doesn't work)

  start/stop jackd on hw:1 for capture (works)
  start/stop jackd on hw:1 for playback (works)
  starting jackd on hw:1 duplex (doesn't work)

I've also included traces from connecting and disconnecting the
device, in case that's useful. Thanks for the thoughtful response. :)

Sam