Re: recommendations for usb host controller

Richard,

Am Montag, 5. Juli 2010 14:40:32 schrieb Richard Retanubun:
> After experiencing many issues with the pehci driver for isp1763 from the
>  vendor and gaining a deep and profound respect for the author of isp1760
>  :) I am looking recommendations from the community for a usb 2.0 host
>  controller.
>
> My platform is a follows:
>
> Freescale MPC8360e; with the usb host controller to be memory mapped on the
>  local bus The local bus is 16 bit wide; and the chip would ideally not use
>  a lot of address bits. The 16 address needed by the isp1760 is not ideal;
>  which is what got our team using isp1763.
>
> only a host controller is needed; no need for peripheral or fancy OTG
>  stuff.

I can NOT recommend USB chips by NXP. I have used the ISP1760, and I found the
host interface to be mostly incompatible to modern CPU. The different timing
requirements are not mappable to the chip select logic of the microcontroller,
and you end with a throttled bus interface which will limit your data transfer
rate and the throughput of your microcontroller.

I would suggest you use the PCI bus on the MPC8360e, and use a USB PCI chip
like the renesas µPD720102.

regards
Wolfgang
--
Wahre Worte sind nicht schön - Schöne Worte sind nicht wahr. (Laotse)