Re: PATCH: usb ehci debug port device gadget

On Wed, 23 Jun 2010 10:14:59 -0400 (EDT)
Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Wed, 23 Jun 2010, stephane duverger wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 17:03:24 -0400 (EDT)
> > Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > > I don't remember the details about how the Netchip debug device
> > > works. Does it simply copy bytes from one port over to the
> > > other?  At any rate, the EHCI spec doesn't say anything about how
> > > a debug device has to work; it only says how the debug port
> > > itself works.  That port is theoretically capable of handling any
> > > high-speed device, subject to its length limitation (no packet
> > > can be longer than 8 bytes).
> > >
> > > Is that limitation the reason a special gadget driver is needed?
> >
> > There is a Debug Device Specification by Intel:
> >
> > http://www.intel.com/technology/usb/download/DebugDeviceSpec_R090.pdf
> >
> > I think it has nothing to do with Netchip. Maybe it can justify the
> > need for an emulation. As Greg said, we need to be able to answer
> > specific requests from the ECHI Debug Port.
>
> Thanks, I wasn't aware of this document.  It does specify two items
> that the debug device must support: the debug descriptor and the
> DEBUG_MODE feature.

Yes, that's why the code base of this new gadget is so small and is
only a glue between gadget api and "u_serial". Nothing more than init
code and a switch case :)

> Would it be easier to add these to g_serial (selectable by a module
> parameter) than to create a whole new gadget driver?

I don't think so, but i can try. I'm currently trying to port the
gadget code to 2.6.35-rc3. I can try you approach at the same time.

I will recontact this mailing list in a while. Thanks for you attention.

PS: i recently bought an IGEPv2 board. The most recent git they provide
is 2.6.35-rc1. The mainlinevanilla 2.6.35-rc3

stephane