Re: PATCH: usb ehci debug port device gadget

On Tue, 22 Jun 2010 17:03:24 -0400 (EDT)
Alan Stern <stern@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I don't remember the details about how the Netchip debug device
> works. Does it simply copy bytes from one port over to the other?  At
> any rate, the EHCI spec doesn't say anything about how a debug device
> has to work; it only says how the debug port itself works.  That port
> is theoretically capable of handling any high-speed device, subject
> to its length limitation (no packet can be longer than 8 bytes).
>
> Is that limitation the reason a special gadget driver is needed?

There is a Debug Device Specification by Intel:

http://www.intel.com/technology/usb/download/DebugDeviceSpec_R090.pdf

I think it has nothing to do with Netchip. Maybe it can justify the
need for an emulation. As Greg said, we need to be able to answer
specific requests from the ECHI Debug Port.

thanks

stephane