Re: selection of usb configuration on the fly on usb host

Hi ,

Thanx for the reply .
Please review my comments below .

Thanx & Regards
Amit Nagal

>> Hi Alan ,
>>
>> Thanx for the reply . The enclosed patch will definately help my cause .
>>
>>  In my case this is required as we  want  to stream digital audio from
>> ipod to our host .
>
> That doesn't mean the patch is required.  In fact, I would say that the
> patch really isn't required.  You can stream digital audio from the
> iPod to the host whether the kernel is patched or not, and the
> procedure is exactly the same either way.

sorry i didn't exactly got this point .
what i meant was ,  with the patch the device won't go into mass storage config
upon device plugin  , and then from userspace program , device 2nd
configuration can be set
and then we can stream digital audio over audio class interface .

without patch , first device will be set first in mass storage config
, we have to  disconnect it first upon receiving
udev event , this display connect - disconnect messages on device ,
and then the device is set into 2nd configuration
required for digital audio streaming .

>> 2)  explicitly list all ipods types (with different pids ) in quirk
>> table   and provide provision to
>>      add  future / not added ipod types dynamically .
>
> Yes, in theory.  However these entries are not going to be added to the
> quirk table.  Having them present might be good for you, but it would
> be bad for lots of other people.
>
> A dynamic mechanism for adding quirks could be written.

ya if a dynamic mehanism is there , its better .