Re: [RFC] CDC NCM USB host driver

Oliver, I sill don't understand what you're
trying to say,or how it relates to the
structural point I was making:  that the
batching isn'treally needed  (or helpful)
given sane USB  DMA/transfer queues
 (as on Linux).

> > > If we want to do this for networking we'd need to
> align
> > > the skbs to that size and build a virtual large
> package
> > > from a chain of skbs. Is that what you had in
> mind?

(To which I said "most certainly NO;

> > It looks like Dave meant that you can submit a large
> number of URBs,
> > each transferring an arbitrary amount of data.

(from anywhere in kernel memory ... which is
one of the definitions of "scatter/gether"; and
you were claiming wouldn't work without adding
curious alignment restrictions (i.e. not all
source buffers would work).

Think of the network packets (SKBs) as mapping
directly to USB transfers (of 1..N packets)...
There are MTU restrictions of course, which may
be affected by any framing/encapsulation needed
to talk to the other end.

> Yes, but the device will notice if you send an incomplete
> packet.

That is, device notices driver bugs... kind of
self-evident... :)  You appear to be thinking of
some particular flavor of framing/encapsulation
problem, (details unspecified)...

(By the way, it's unclear what kind of packet
you mean here.  USB packet, part of a USB transfer,
which holds either (a) cleanest case, a single
Ethernet-ish network packet, or (b workaround for some kind
of implementation restriction:  a batch of such
ethernet-ish packets.

> As the device is probably optimized for batching, this maybe a problem.

If you postulate optimization for (b) you've made
a self-fulfilling prophecy.  Likewise for (a),
which by observation is currently more common.

Recall that I was highlighting the fact that batching (b)
is a workaround ... one that Linux hasn't needed
at all, in the past couple decades... and that
since batching involves superfluous copying of
data packets, it wastes resources (like battery
power, indirectly via CPU cycles).