Re: selection of usb configuration on the fly on usb host

On Wed, 16 Jun 2010, Amit Nagal wrote:

> Hi Alan ,
>
> Thanx for the reply . The enclosed patch will definately help my cause .
>
>  In my case this is required as we  want  to stream digital audio from
> ipod to our host .

That doesn't mean the patch is required.  In fact, I would say that the
patch really isn't required.  You can stream digital audio from the
iPod to the host whether the kernel is patched or not, and the
procedure is exactly the same either way.

>  i will definately need to provide quirk entries at run time ,
>
>  as at compile time ,  it will be extremely difficult to put quirk
> entries for all the  ipods .
>
>  there should be some registration mechanism in user space to specify
> quirk entries at run time .

So far nobody has needed one.  And you haven't convinced me that you
really need it either.

>  how we can specify quirk entries while the system is running ?

Currently there is no way to do it.  A mechanism would have to be
added.

> Also the basis for device  enumeration is :
>
> 1) Vendor ID = 0x05ac
>
> 2) Product ID=0x12nn
>
> where nn can be anything . The product id varies depending upon the
> type of iPod .
>
> so the basis for device enumeration can be :
>
> 1)  ( ( Vendor_id == 0x5ac )  && ( ( Product_ID >> 8 ) == 0x12) )
>
>  is there any way to specify this rule in quirk table  ?

No.

> or
>
> 2)  explicitly list all ipods types (with different pids ) in quirk
> table   and provide provision to
>      add  future / not added ipod types dynamically .

Yes, in theory.  However these entries are not going to be added to the
quirk table.  Having them present might be good for you, but it would
be bad for lots of other people.

A dynamic mechanism for adding quirks could be written.

Alan Stern