Re: full data usb captures with usbmon?

On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 07:39:16PM -0400, Chris Frey wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 01, 2010 at 03:46:18PM -0700, Greg KH wrote:
> > usbmon is.
> >
> > Please read the documentation for how to use the binary interface in the
> > file at Documentation/usb/usbmon.txt
>
> Oops, thanks.  I guess I was expecting that there would be tools already
> available for this, instead of cobbling together my own code.

There are tools already around.  Wireshark can handle usbmon traces, and
there's also a java application (or was it python) that could do it as
well in a very pretty format.  Look in the linux-usb archives for
details.

> Can I be sure that the usbmon binary buffers will not drop usb packets
> no matter how busy my system is?  I don't want it to be like the dmesg
> buffer where usbfs_snoop output went.

I think it will handle all of them but of course, nothing is ever
guaranteed :)

good luck,

greg k-h