Re: PROBLEM: conflicts with usbhid keyboard and ueagle-atm

On Mon, 17 May 2010, Khanh-Dang Nguyen Thu Lam wrote:

> > > ATM dev 0: usbatm_submit_urb: urb 0xcfa8abe0 submission failed (-28)!
> >
> > -28 is -ENOSPC, which means there is not enough bandwidth available on
> > the USB bus for both devices to run at the same time.
>
> Strange.  I don't expect a USB keyboard to be bandwidth-consuming.

It is, because the system has to poll it constantly to see if any keys
have been pressed or released.  Even worse, because keyboards generally
are low-speed devices, each bit requires as much bandwidth as 8 bits on
a full-speed device.

> Moreover, the same USB DSL modem works when doing a scan using a USB
> scanner plugged in place of the USB keyboard.

The scanner probably doesn't need to reserve any bandwidth.  The
keyboard does.

Alan Stern