Re: PROBLEM: conflicts with usbhid keyboard and ueagle-atm

On Sun 16 May 2010 22:30 -0400, Alan Stern wrote:
> > * Case 1 (USB DSL modem first, then USB keyboard):
> >
> > usb 1-1: reset low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
> > usb 1-1: reset low speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 3
> > #
> > # The last line keeps repeating.
> > #
> > # At this point, the Numlock indicator of the USB keyboard is on but the
> > # keystrokes do not register.  The PS/2 keyboard keeps working, although
> > # sluggishly.
>
> Those repeating error messages are unfortunate.  At some point the
> driver should give up.  And maybe it should give an indication of _why_
> the resets are needed.

I have a dmesg output in which the reset message repeats a thousand
times during half an hour (thus, at a rate of about 1 message every one
or two seconds).  The messages disappeared because I unplugged the
keyboard.

Is there any debug or verbose flag I can enable in order to have more
indications?

> > * Case 2 (USB keyboard first, then USB DSL modem):
> >
> > ATM dev 0: usbatm_submit_urb: urb 0xcfa8abe0 submission failed (-28)!
>
> -28 is -ENOSPC, which means there is not enough bandwidth available on
> the USB bus for both devices to run at the same time.

Strange.  I don't expect a USB keyboard to be bandwidth-consuming.
Moreover, the same USB DSL modem works when doing a scan using a USB
scanner plugged in place of the USB keyboard.

> If you have other USB ports available, you should try plugging one of
> the devices into them.  UHCI controllers usually have only one or two
> ports, so any other ports will be on a different bus.

Unfortunately, the hardware in not quite recent. There are only two USB
ports, and they are connected to the same bus.

Khanh-Dang Nguyen Thu Lam