Re: root FS on pendrive

A: No.

http://daringfireball.net/2007/07/on_top

On Sun, May 16, 2010 at 02:45:59PM -0300, maptex wrote:
> 2010/5/16 maptex <maptex@xxxxxxxxx>:
> > thans by your response,
> >
> > 2.6.18 is old and unsupported but it is stable for the application we are using,
> > the actual OS installed over about 2000 appliances is 2.4.x and will be migrated
> > to 2.6.18.

Best of luck with that.  Why would an application depend on the kernel
version, there should not be any dependancy there.

Anyway, you have patched up all the known security holes in the 2.6.18
kernel release for these new installs, right?

> > The actual FS on appliances are not labeled and are mounted refering to kernel
> > names, /etc/fstab contain references to kernel names.

I suggest you change that to label names instead, otherwise you are
going to have problems, as you are finding out.

> > The migration planned to have a unique manual operation consisting plugging a
> > usb pendrive. The other tasks will be automated by transferring scripts and
> > running them.
> > When more changes we need to do, more complex the scripts must be.
> > I can modify the init and scripts on initramfs distributed on the pendrive to
> > identify usb storage devices, but if I can manage the kernel enumeration for his
> > devices then I can simplify the scripts, the other way is to label
> > filesystems and
> > modify all the appliance configuration for applications using kernel names
> > (no easy to control in some simple (low error prone) scripts).
> >
> > I am not an expert in kernel, but AFAIK udev can run after the kernel assign
> > kernel names to storage devices, and only alias names can be managed from
> > udev, kernel names cannot be changed, or I am in error?

Well, older versions of udev would allow you to change the kernel name,
but I have no idea what version of udev will work with 2.6.18, so you
are on your own here with that one.

Again, best of luck.  And I would seriously reconsider installing such
old code in a new system...

greg k-h