root FS on pendrive

Hi all,
I hava a linux system (2.6.18) configured to boot from ide (disk on
chip) and mount
root filesystem from an usb pendrive. This is ok while the system
assign the same
device name to the pendrive (/dev/sdx) as configured on bootloader configuration
file (lilo.conf). Some times, when the system boot with other usb storage device
connected, the name assigned to the device with root filesystem is changed and
the system is unable to mount root filesystem.
I need to find a solution to identify the device and change system configuration
to mount root filesystem.
The system may have one or two usb storage devices connected and /etc/fstab
makes references to device names (/dev/sdx) and it is not possible to label the
others filesystems.

As a solution I'm trying to swap device names, by modifying scripts in
initrd, but
I cant find how to change /proc/partitions to reflect changes (I also
need to change
/dev/disk/by-* links).

Other solution may be to direct the kernel device scanning to name
devices as I need,
but I dont know if that is possible (and how).

Thanks in advance,

Mario