Re: Newbie wondering about unsupported Garmin device

Oops. Forgot to 'reply all' last time. Sorry for the double-send, Josua.

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 11:37 AM, Josua Dietze
<digidietze@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Oliver Neukum schrieb:
>
>>> T:  Bus=01 Lev=01 Prnt=01 Port=04 Cnt=02 Dev#=  4 Spd=480 MxCh= 0
>>> D:  Ver= 2.00 Cls=00(>ifc ) Sub=00 Prot=00 MxPS=64 #Cfgs=  1
>>> P:  Vendor=091e ProdID=239c Rev= 5.09
>>> S:  SerialNumber=0000da32c553
>>> C:* #Ifs= 1 Cfg#= 1 Atr=80 MxPwr=500mA
>>> I:* If#= 0 Alt= 0 #EPs= 2 Cls=08(stor.) Sub=06 Prot=50 Driver=usb-storage
>>> E:  Ad=83(I) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
>>> E:  Ad=01(O) Atr=02(Bulk) MxPS= 512 Ivl=0ms
>>
>> This is a storage device. You'll probably need to use usb_modeswitch.
>
> If there is no on-device way to set the USB mode this may be correct.
>
> Two questions.
>
> First: what is the exact name of the model?
> Second: what is the content of the storage you see if you mount it?
>
> And don't give up hope yet!  :-)

I tried usb_modeswitch last night (unfortunately I'm not at home so I
have to go by memory) and when I tried that it said something to the
effect that it couldn't find a method to switch with, so it was
ultimately unsuccessful. It couldn't detect the Mfg or some such
thing.

The exact model is the Zumo 660 (Part Number: 010-00727-00.)
https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=135&pID=15000

When it's mounted everything looks as I would suspect. I can't recall
the exact list of folders, etc., but I can easily see maps and other
data, and most importantly the gpx folder. So from that perspective it
works fine with usb-storage.

The real problem is with using Garmin's Windows software. Wine does
not readily support USB, so the tact (given by others in the Wine
community and elsewhere) is to load garmin-gps/usbserial to create a
/dev/ttyUSBx device, softlink that to a Wine serial device (com1) and
carry on with Wine.

I guess the X-factor here is that nobody has specifically claimed that
this device works this way, though other Zumo models have been
verified. I know that doesn't necessarily mean anything. Here's the
basic Wine info
(http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=15330)

It may very well be that this device does not support serial
emulation, or does not speak with what some people call 'the Garmin
protocol'. When this device is plugged into a windows box it gets
mounted as a drive. I don't recall if the mapping software works if
you unmount it. So it's difficult for me to say whether the mapping
software works directly with the mount or can communicate serially.
I've never checked out the settings because it detects it in a Windows
environment just fine.

I was hoping that it would be easy to figure out whether or not this
will even work at all with this GPS, but seems like we're falling down
a deep rabbit hole. Feel free to abandon the thread, it's not a huge
deal. But it might be a fun challenge for someone to figure out. :)

Thanks again for all your friendly help and non-flaming.

-Matt Janulewicz
mattyj@xxxxxxxxx