RE: patch submitted as improvement found to fix a bug

Oliver Neukum wrote:
> Rickard has found out that the patch usb-cdc-acm-update-to-new-autopm-api.patch
> that is already in your queue also fixes a bug. Unfortunately it also contains
> a bug that I have a fix for. Do you want me to submit both patches to stable,
> or will you apply the first patch to stable and I submit only the fix?
> How to do this?

Oliver/Rickard,

Was the bug that usb_autopm_do_device() would hold the usb_pm_lock when
calling cdc-acm's suspend method, and that acm_suspend eventually calls
cancel_work_sync(&acm->waker) - which blocks if the callback is running,
and if acm->waker's callback is running, it calls usb_autopm_get_interface
which tries to usb_pm_lock()?

If so we hit this issue yesterday on 2.6.29 and 2.6.33, and I came across your
fixes while looking at the .34-rc2 code. The two patches (commits 97d35f95
and f0730924) made the issue disappear. So I suppose they are indeed needed
for stable.

Thanks!

- Anand