Re: USB disks with spindown linux kernel problems

On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Toerless Eckert wrote:

> On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:33:02PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> > On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Toerless Eckert wrote:
> >
> > > I do have problems with external USB disks, that pretty much lead
> > > to them being useless because linux does not recognize them during
> > > booting or usb_storage module loading. The only way to recognize
> > > them is to plug them into the running system.
> > >
> > > Drives are Western Digital Elements, 2TB.  Kernel is 2.6.29 or 2.6.31
> > >
> > > not fully regocnized by linux (tried 2.6.29/2.6.31) when i boot.
> >
> > This has nothing to do with USB; it is a SCSI matter.  The problem is
> > that disk probing fails if the drives are spun down when the probe
> > begins.  You should post your questions on the linux-scsi mailing list.
>
> Well, that's not quite clear to me. The SATA disk itself is without
> power at the time of the problem,

If it is without power, how can you expect it to work?

> so it is an issue between linux and the
> USB/SATA adapter.

Linux has nothing to do with supplying power to the disk.  At best, all
it does is supply power to the USB interface -- and it does that
regardless of when you plug the cable in (before boot or after boot).

> Itsn't part of what this controller gets also handled
> on the linux side by usb_storage.ko ? After all, whether it is a USB
> or ATA/USB or SATA/USB command that's eg:missing from the PC to that
> adapter, it is something where the adapter needs to react by powering up the
> disk.

No.  All usb-storage does is accept commands from the SCSI layer and
send them to the device.  If some commands are missing, it isn't
usb-storage's fault.

Alan Stern