Re: USB disks with spindown linux kernel problems

On Sat, Feb 27, 2010 at 10:33:02PM -0500, Alan Stern wrote:
> On Sun, 28 Feb 2010, Toerless Eckert wrote:
>
> > I do have problems with external USB disks, that pretty much lead
> > to them being useless because linux does not recognize them during
> > booting or usb_storage module loading. The only way to recognize
> > them is to plug them into the running system.
> >
> > Drives are Western Digital Elements, 2TB.  Kernel is 2.6.29 or 2.6.31
> >
> > not fully regocnized by linux (tried 2.6.29/2.6.31) when i boot.
>
> This has nothing to do with USB; it is a SCSI matter.  The problem is
> that disk probing fails if the drives are spun down when the probe
> begins.  You should post your questions on the linux-scsi mailing list.

Well, that's not quite clear to me. The SATA disk itself is without
power at the time of the problem, so it is an issue between linux and the
USB/SATA adapter. Itsn't part of what this controller gets also handled
on the linux side by usb_storage.ko ? After all, whether it is a USB
or ATA/USB or SATA/USB command that's eg:missing from the PC to that
adapter, it is something where the adapter needs to react by powering up the
disk.

Cheers
    Toerless